Set deep in the center of the Northwoods, St. Germain is the perfect place to launch your next paddling adventure. Paddlers will find a number of rivers and streams, as well as a number of no-motor lakes that are ideal for canoeing and kayaking. There are plenty of paddling opportunities close to town, as well as some secluded lakes deep in the bush for those looking to get far from civilization.
Imagine gliding slowly along the wooded shores of a wilderness lake, watching loons feeding in calm clear waters and passing beneath some of the tallest white pines in the Northwoods. The state forest lands that surround many of St. Germain’s lakes ensures that there are plenty of these type of pristine stretches of waterway for you to paddle in peace. From remote ponds to some of the easily accessible backwaters of some of our largest lakes, you’ll have no trouble finding your own piece of paddling paradise.
St. Germain Area Boat & Watercraft Rentals
- Coontail Sports - Kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, wakeboards & waterski rentals.
- Hawk's Nest Canoe Outfitters - Canoe, kayak, rafting, tubing rentals & trips.
- Paul's Rent-All - Jet ski & pontoon rentals.
- St. Germain Rentals - Jet ski & pontoon rentals.
Click here to view the Vilas County Paddling Guide.
Click here to view the Town of Newbold Waterways map.
- Boating in Wisconsin - Department of Natural Resources links.
- EEK! Environmental Education for Kids - Electronic magazine for kids. Learn about the great outdoors!
- Invasive Species in Wisconsin - Department of Natural Resources information.
- Non-Motorized Lake List - List of lakes that do not allow motorized boats in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest Canoe Routes - Links to various canoe routes in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Oneida County Hiking & Biking Trails (PDF) - Map for hike/bike/ski trails, canoeing routes & birding locations. Click here for detailed Oneida County trail maps.
- Things to See & Do in Vilas County (PDF) - Fun spots to visit in Vilas County.
- Water Trails in Wisconsin - Department of Natural Resources information & links.
- Wisconsin Lake Information - Important questions & answers on Wisconsin lakes.